Thursday, November 4, 2010

Unexpected Grieving

My family and I underwent another relocation a few weeks ago. We’re so happy to be back home with our family and a great deal of our friends! The whole move was quite an experience which I hope to never need to recreate. Now that we’re here, and getting settled, albeit still living with a lot of boxes, things are great. The kids are happy. Really happy. We’re happy. We love it!

While we were living in Washington some major changes happened in our family back here. The biggest of which were my Grandma dying in January of 2007, followed by my Grandpa in July, and then my Dad in May of 2009. I was very close to all of them, and their deaths all hit me hard, in different ways. It was really hard for me, at the time, to be so far away from everyone, and this played a big part in our wanting to come back home.

Life is too short to be so far away from the people you love.

Ray and Carol Hunter Ron Hunter

I didn’t expect to have more grieving to do once I got home. I guess I was sheltered a little bit, being away. I got to deal with each of their deaths in a different way, but I didn’t feel the complete hole that is left by them not being here anymore. Since being home, I have felt the profound emptiness each time we go someplace or have a family activity they would normally have been at. This caught me by surprise, and I wasn’t prepared for it. I miss them so much! I know they are happy where they are, and we’ll all be together again, and that gives me comfort. But, things are different now for all of us that are still here, and I am only now getting to deal with that aspect of their deaths. So this last Tuesday I took a trip to the cemetery to be alone with my grieving and just let it flow. It was very healing.

UT Vacation June 2009 178 UT Vacation June 2009 196

1 comment: