Somehow stuffed zucchini just doesn’t sound all that exciting.
It’s that time of year, and if you’re looking for a way to
get rid of eat all the zucchini growing like weeds in your garden, here’s a favorite of ours. It’s easy, fast and it’s good for you too! (I stole the idea right off the back of the turkey package)
1 package Italian seasoned ground turkey, browned
1 jar, can, or home-made equivalent prepared spaghetti sauce
4-5 whole zucchinis
1 cup grated mozzarella or 6 cheese blend cheese (less or more to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350
- slice the zucchini’s in half lengthwise and scoop out the centers. Arrange them on a large cooking sheet – I dice up the scraped out parts and toss them in my sauce, but you could just discard them if you prefer.
- brown the ground turkey in a large skillet
- add prepared spaghetti sauce to the turkey and heat through
- fill the zucchini halves with mounds of the turkey sauce mixture
- top with cheese
- heat in the oven until the cheese is melted
The kids call this pizza zucchini, and all 3 of them will eat it with no complaints! (We adults think they’re pretty good too!